Dissertation Research Fellowship Application Components
If selected as a department nominee, your application will be reviewed by a 9-person committee made up of three humanities, three social science, and three science faculty members. Each nominee will ultimately be responsible for submitting the following components to GSAS Fellowships via an award portal on October 13. Please note that each department has its own nomination procedures which may or may not require the following items for its internal deadline. Only students nominated by the department will be required to submit their application via the GSAS Fellowships portal. Nominees will receive further instructions after the department nomination deadline on September 29.
1. Dissertation Summary
- Max 1000 words. Header Format: Student Last Name, First Name, Department, N-Number.
- Should be written for educated readers, but not experts in your field or members of your department (i.e. NYT readership level). Identify the dissertation’s research question, thesis, methodology, and broader significance.
2. Project Description
- Max 500 words. Identify the research project to be undertaken during the fellowship year, including the type of information or data to be acquired and means of acquiring it, as well as how the research project will enable completion of the dissertation. It should clearly indicate the need for extended research outside of the United States and its territories. All terms should be accessible to the general reader.
3. Teaching Statement (Lane Cooper Fellowship only)
- Max 500 words. Share your beliefs on teaching and learning and a summary of your teaching experience. Should indicate a clear intent to pursue a teaching career in Greek, Latin, English language and literature - especially in the periods of Old and Middle English, philosophy and/or history - either ancient or medieval.
4. Curriculum vitae (c.v.)
5. NYU Transcript
- Unofficial transcripts can be viewed and printed from Albert. Navigate to the “My Academics” section of the Student Center to generate. Select “View my unofficial transcript” from the dropdown bar and be sure your pop up blocker is off on your browser.
6. Two Letters of Reference
- To be uploaded into the application portal by the reference writer. Note: Be aware of your department's internal deadline(s) when communicating with your letter writers. One letter must be from your thesis advisor.
- Must assess the general quality of your graduate work, expected contribution of the dissertation to the discipline, and prospects for its publication in whole or in part.