All September 2019 and January 2020 degree recipients and all May 2020 degree candidates are eligible to participate in Convocation.
Doctoral candidates who will receive their degree in September 2020 and are scheduled to defend their dissertation before the May 18 ceremony are eligible to participate even if they have dissertation submission procedures outstanding. These candidates do not need to petition their DGS for a Dean's Exception for the GSAS Doctoral Convocation. However, they will need a Dean's Exception if they wish to participate in All-University Commencement at Yankee Stadium.
How to Register for the GSAS Doctoral Convocation
1) You must receive an invitation to register. Convocation invitations are sent by email to all eligible degree recipients and candidates during the first week in March.
If you have not received your invitation by Friday, March 6, you should:
- Check your spam folder.
- Verify that you applied for graduation on Albert by the February 2 deadline.
- Log into Albert, the student information system, to verify your contact information.
- Contact the GSAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs at email@example.com to request that an invitation be re-sent to your correct email.
2) You must register for tickets. Follow the directions in your email invitation. Registration to participate and request guest tickets ends Friday, April 17, 2020.
Dean’s Exception Policy for Participation
Doctoral candidates who will not fulfill the Ph.D. graduation requirements for May 2020 and who intend to graduate over the summer will receive invitations to attend the GSAS Doctoral Convocation in 2020.
However, consideration will only be given to doctoral candidates who have scheduled their defense for summer 2020, but who will not be able to attend next year's ceremony due to extenuating circumstances. These students must receive a Dean's Exception.
Dean's Exception Process: Students will no longer have to present a letter from the Dean’s Office. Going forward, students being granted an exception will be added to a student group in Albert. To be added to the student group, graduate administrators must email Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs Allan Corns directly with the student’s name, University ID (N#), and an explanation about why the student should be granted an exception by Friday, April 17, 2020.