- M.A. in History of Art and Archaeology
- M.S.-M.A. in Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works/History of Art and Archaeology (Dual Degree)
- Ph.D. in History of Art and Archaeology
Applications and all supporting materials must be submitted online by 5PM Eastern Time. If a listed deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or U.S. federal holiday, then the next business day will be the actual deadline.
- January 17: Fall admission
Ph.D. and Dual Degree Programs
- December 1: Fall admission
In addition to the general application requirements, the department specifically requires:
- Please do not send GRE test scores — they will not be reviewed by our Admissions Committee.
Applicants must submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores (TOEFL preferred) unless they:
Are a native English speaker; OR
Are a US citizen or permanent resident; OR
Have completed (or will complete) a baccalaureate or master's degree at an institution where the language of instruction is English.
Please describe briefly and concisely your past and present work as it relates to your intended field of study, your educational objectives at NYU, and your career plans. In addition, please include your reasons for choosing your field of study.
The Institute of Fine Arts Admissions Committee requests that you consider the following for inclusion in your Statement of Academic Purpose. Please make your statement succinct (2-4 typed pages).
- Aspects of your background that may be relevant to a career in the history of art or conservation.
- Name your primary area of interest within art history or conservation.
- What you think are the critical issues in this field.
- Your reason for choosing the Institute of Fine Arts rather than another graduate program.
- Your career plans.
One art history-related writing sample is required. Those applicants who already have a master’s degree in art history must submit a copy of their thesis or another art history-related research paper to be read by an appropriate member of the IFA faculty.
- GSAS Bulletin
- Institute Website
- Email (M.A. & Ph.D.) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email (M.S.-M.A.) email@example.com
- Application Portal
- Back to Programs, Requirements and Deadlines
The Graduate School of Arts and Science reserves the right to change this information at any time. This page supersedes all previous versions.
Last updated August 2022.