Doctoral Dissertation Submission Guide
Submission deadlines and checklists:
January 2015 graduation - Doctoral Dissertation Submission Checklist
Preliminary dissertation deadline: December 5, 2014
Final dissertation deadline: January 16, 2015
May 2015 graduation - Doctoral Dissertation Submission Checklist
Updated January 1, 2015
Preliminary dissertation deadline: March 20, 2015
Final dissertation deadline: May 8, 2015
September 2015 graduation - Doctoral Dissertation Submission Checklist
Updated January 1, 2015
Preliminary dissertation deadline: August 7, 2015
Final dissertation deadline: September 18, 2015
Note: GSAS submission deadlines are earlier than University Graduation Deadlines.
Dissertation submission in nine steps:
The following guide presents the necessary steps involved in a doctoral candidate's dissertation submission as required by the Graduate School of Arts and Science. All candidates should check with their dissertation advisor and department administrator regarding additional departmental requirements.
Individual candidates must complete the following:
- The candidate must meet with his or her dissertation advisor to discuss research goals, timeframes, and scheduling of an oral defense. If an outside reader is being considered as part of the dissertation committee, the candidate's department must complete and sign the Dissertation Reader Approval Form to include in the candidate's graduation file. Prior to scheduling the doctoral dissertation defense, three dissertation readers, one who is the candidate's advisor, must approve the dissertation for defense.
- The candidate is required to register for graduation on Albert at least 3 months prior to the expected date of graduation
- The candidate must submit the Preliminary Dissertation Packet by the preliminary dissertation deadline to the GSAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs.
The Preliminary Submission Packet consists of the following:
- One copy of the Title Page (unsigned)
- Abstract Approval Form (original signature is required)
- Two copies of the abstract (Must include the title, author and advisor’s names in the header.)
- Dissertation Publishing Agreement
- Survey of Earned Doctorates
Note: Completion of these steps, does not guarantee conferral of a candidate's degree. The final conferral decision rests with the Graduate School of Arts and Science and New York University's Office of the Registrar.
Dissertation Formatting Requirements:
- Doctoral Dissertation Formatting Requirements
- A Formatting Guide for Successful Completion of the Doctoral Dissertation
- Proquest's Author Guide: Preparing Your Manuscript for Submission
The Office of Academic and Student Affairs is located at 6 Washington Square North, 2nd Floor. Questions regarding the dissertation submission procedure should be directed to Cherone Slater at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 212-998-8060.