GSAS International Student Reference Guide

Message from NYU President Andrew Hamilton
Plan For Your Arrival In New York
Travel Tips
When You Arrive In New York
Money Matters
Point of Contact

Message from NYU President Andrew Hamilton

"NYU believes in the free movement of ideas and, though it is governments that control borders, we also believe in the accompanying free movement of people in pursuit of their academic work. We want the group of NYU colleagues and peers affected by this [executive] order to know that the University supports them. Their ability to carry on with their studies and their research, their ability to be present on our campus and participate fully and confidently in University life, and their welfare are foremost among NYU's concerns." - NYU President Andrew Hamilton

You can read the full text of President Hamilton's response to the U.S. executive order on immigration here.

Plan For Your Arrival In New York

Embarking on a graduate career is an exciting and challenging experience for any student. New York University recognizes the special needs of our international students and offers a wide array of services to assist you with the transition to life at New York University’s Graduate School of Arts and Science (GSAS).This section will acquaint you with the services and contacts available to students in the Graduate School.

More detailed information can be located through the Office of Global Services (OGS) website. OGS assists prospective and enrolled international students with immigration matters and the adjustment to a new academic and cultural environment. They also advise students on issues concerning legal rights and responsibilities while offering personal and family services.

Required Documentation

Obtaining a visa is a crucial aspect of the preparations international students must make before arriving in New York. The application process involves several tasks, so students are advised to take special care in filling out the required forms and to allow plenty of time for processing.

Your admission letter was emailed to you; GSAS does not mail admissions packets or letters. All the information you need is in your admission letter and on your Admitted Student Resource Page.

Apply for Your I-20 / DS-2019

The online application and instructions on how to obtain the I-20/DS-2019 are available here. Please fill out the I-20/DS-2019 Application for Newly Admitted Students online. To access the application you will need to have your NYU ID number. This is the number you received from NYU that starts with "N" and is followed by 8 numbers, for example, N12345678. You will also need your NYUHome/email address password. Review the application checklist information to ensure you have all you need to successfully complete the online application.

Transferring your Immigration Sponsorship to NYU

If you are currently enrolled at another school in the U.S., be sure to read the instructions about how to transfer your immigration sponsorship to NYU.

Review Specific Information Required for Your Visa Application
In addition to the I-20 / DS-2019 application and your NYU admission offer email, each applicant for a student visa must submit additional information. Visa requirements vary from country to country; students should contact the U.S. Embassy or consulate office within their home country for more detailed information. OGS sends all students specific information regarding the required documentation to solicit their visas. Visa applicants may be charged a processing fee.

Verify Your Passport Expiration Date
To obtain a visa you will need a passport with a valid date extending at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S. If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must submit a separate application.

Your Health Records
University policy requires all incoming students to complete several health-related requirements. These include a medical history, proof of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) immunization and either proof of meningitis vaccination or receipt of information regarding meningitis. If you do not submit the required health records, you will not be permitted to register for classes. Be sure to carry all relevant health records when traveling to the U.S. to avoid having to be revaccinated upon your arrival. If necessary, you should also obtain English translations of your medical history to ensure better care while residing in the U.S.  For more information, visit

Family Members
A spouse and unmarried, minor children may also be classified for a nonimmigrant visa to accompany or follow the student. Family members must meet all visa eligibility requirements, including evidence that they will have sufficient funds for their support, and that they will depart the U.S. when the student’s program ends. Be aware that F2 dependents may not work, while J2 dependents may request work authorization. For more information on bringing family, visit the OGS website.

Students enrolled in the NYU insurance plan can also enroll their eligible dependents. Dependent enrollment forms can be found via

Travel Tips

The “Report Date”
You must arrive at NYU no later than the “report date” indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019 form. Arrange your flight as soon as you know your report date. U.S. consulates and embassies will issue the F-1 visa as much as 90 days before this report date. As you make arrangements for your travel, plan to attend the important orientation sessions organized by the Graduate School, OGS, and your academic department. These sessions are designed to introduce you to the Graduate School and to familiarize you with your department’s policies and procedures. Before leaving home, read the important information you receive from the various GSAS offices to determine the dates of orientation sessions, registration and the first day of classes. We recommend you contact your academic department to inquire about department orientation sessions. OGS check-in information is available at:

Transportation from the Airport
There are three main airports in the New York City area. If you are traveling from abroad, chances are you will land either in JFK, LaGuardia or Newark Liberty Airport. To find out more about your transportation options once you arrive, we suggest you visit the airport’s information center for specific transportation information and cost estimates.

When You Arrive in New York

Check in with Your Consulate
Many countries have a Consulate Office in NYC. Some countries require their citizens to register at the local consulate and other countries only recommend it. We recommend you contact your local consulate office to see if a reporting requirement exists. For the address and telephone number of consulate offices, contact OGS.

Check-In and Orientation
The U.S. government requires all new NYU international students to report their arrival to NYU. The first step is to complete the arrival form and submit your immigration documents to OGS. The second step is to attend an International Student Orientation.

Please refer to this link for more information about this required process.

Register for Classes
To comply with the U.S. government’s regulations, all students must register full-time no later than one week after classes begin.

Apply for a Social Security Number if You Are Eligible
F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to apply for a social security number only if they are in status and authorized to work. In addition, F-1 students must have an actual job offer to apply for a social security number. F1 students don't require work authorization, but J1 students require work authorization from their program sponsor before beginning employment.

International Student Arrival Checklist
Be sure that you take care of all of these things, once you arrive.

Money Matters

Understand Your Tax Responsibilities
All international students are required to file a U.S. tax return by April 15 of each year. Many of our international students are recipients of fellowships and research assistantships. If you have been awarded a fellowship, scholarship, or research assistantship, you will be required to complete GLACIER. Please refer to and click on the Tax Guidelines and Checklists to download the forms.

New York University is required to collect these forms from all international students who will receive an award in the form of an assistantship, fellowship or scholarship. These forms will be used to correctly process your financial aid award so that your stipend or assistantship payments will be treated in accordance with current U.S. tax regulations. You may complete the online GLACIER process as soon as you receive the email notification. Once completed, you are asked to submit your documents as soon as possible to ensure correct processing of your payments.

Fellowships that are used for tuition and fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses of instruction are excludable from gross income. Fellowship amounts received for other expenses, such as room and board and living expenses, represent taxable income to the student. It is the responsibility of the student to report any includable amounts on her or his tax return and to maintain records to support expenditures for tuition, fees, books, and required equipment and supplies. The University suggests that students retain receipts for all educational expenses.

These are general guidelines regarding the tax treatment of certain forms of support. We strongly suggest that students either consult with a tax expert or refer to federal publications for clarification. The IRS provides information through free publications and a telephone information line.

All international students and scholars are required to report to the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) each year — even if they did not work during the prior year. Although OGS cannot advise on tax issues, they hope to give students basic information as a helpful starting point. OGS has a link on their website for tax information for all F1 and J1 students and their dependents.

Banking in New York City

When considering which bank to use in New York, students should think about bank chains that may also be located in their home countries. Also, a bank branch that has multiple locations in New York will be more convenient in the long run. Students can also consider the New York University Federal Credit Union.

To open a bank account in the US, take your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, NYU ID card, and enrollment verification (obtained at the Registrar's Office), in addition to money or a check to deposit. Please note, you must first add your US address to Albert and register for classes before obtaining the enrollment verification.

Point of Contact

Office of Global Services
383 Lafayette Street
Telephone: (212) 998-4720
Fax: (212) 995-4115
For questions related to obtaining an I-20/DS-2019, email
For all other OGS-related questions, use the contact form.

Updated on 02/07/2017