GSAS Application Page 1 Instructions-Adding a URL to Your Application
If you are including a URL as part of your application, please note the following:
- Do not submit your application until you have your URL and have entered it on page 1. Once you submit your application, the URL cannot be changed, so be sure that the URL is correct, and what it points to is complete and loads correctly before you submit your application.
- The URL must be 30 characters or less. If your URL is longer than that size, you should use a service that can shorten your URL, such as bitly.com. This will allow you to convert a URL such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioJj4FuLkq0 (42 characters) to a shorter form, like http://bit.ly/4ngULR (20 characters).
- If you use YouTube, you can also shorten the URL directly. To obtain a shorter URL, copy everything after the equals sign ("=") and append to http://youtu.be/. For example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioJj4FuLkq0 (42 characters)
can be converted to
http://youtu.be/ioJj4FuLkq0 (27 characters). Both point to the same video.
- To submit your URL, log into your online application and go to Step 2: Application Form Page 1. At the very bottom of the page is the question "Website/Video URL (max 30 characters)." (This is the last question in the "Other Information" section. If you are appying for the Spring 2014 semester, this question will read "Any additional description you wish to provide about your background.")
- Once you have entered your URL and clicked the "Save" button, click the "Preview" button and confirm that your URL (found at the bottom of the page, labeled "URL:", and just above "Citizenship:") is complete and correct. An example is shown below.
- If you have any questions about submitting a URL, please contact email@example.com. If you have questions about whether your program has a specific video or url request, please see http://gsas.nyu.edu/object/grad.app.page1-video.
Submitting a VideoIf you will be submitting a video, remember that you are submitting a link (URL) to your video (such as on YouTube.com, youku.com, tudou.com, some other video hosting site, or your own website), not the video itself.
Do not secure your video with a password. Instead, we recommend that you make the video unlisted. The following descriptions apply to YouTube.com, but should be applicable to other video hosting sites. YouTube has three privacy settings: Public, Private, and Unlisted.
- Public means anybody can find it and view it. Do not use this option.
- Private means it can only be seen by the you, and the people you select. The video doesn't appear in your channel or in search results. Viewers you select must have a Google account to log in and see the video, and the you must also know to whom to grant permission. Do not use this option.
- Unlisted means that anybody who has the link can view the video, but it doesn't appear in your channel or in search results. Use this option.