Application Information for International Students

The following provides answers to the most common questions asked by our international applicants.

Is there a special application for international students?
No, a special application is not required for international applicants. All applicants to the Graduate School of Arts and Science (GSAS) use the same application.

Is there a different application deadline date for international applicants?
The application deadline dates are the same for U.S. and international applicants. The dates may differ by program of study and you should refer to the listings in the application. Applications must be received by 5 PM eastern time on the published deadline date.

How will my international transcript be evaluated?
Every application from a student educated outside the U.S. is referred to one of the Graduate School’s advisors for review. The advisor reviews the transcript to ensure that the applicant has been awarded the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree, or will be awarded such a degree by the time he/she is expected to enroll. If the applicant meets this criterion, the file is then forwarded to the department the applicant has applied to for admission. GSAS advisors are expertly trained, familiar with the educational systems and transcripts of many countries throughout the world, and have a wide variety of resources to call upon to assist them in reviewing credentials.  
My university didn’t calculate a grade point average (GPA). How do I fill in that portion of the application?
The instructions on the application advise you to leave the GPA question blank if you attended a non-U.S. institution. Part of the training GSAS advisors receive prepares them to calculate U.S. equivalent GPAs based on the grades and grading scales used on international transcripts. The advisor who examines your application will review your grades and your institution’s grading scale, and will determine a GPA equivalent.

Am I required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam?
Please read the GRE, TOEFL and IELTS FAQ for details on the TOEFL and IELTS exam.

Are international students considered for GSAS fellowships and assistantships?
All applicants to the Graduate School are considered for GSAS fellowships and assistantships. There is no separate application form.

If admitted, non-U.S. citizens and non-U.S. permanent residents must submit appropriate evidence of financial ability. This information is not needed at the time of application. The issuance of certificates for student visas (Form I-20 or DS-2019) will be delayed until such evidence is received. If the applicant's studies are being financed by means of personal savings, parental support, or outside private or government scholarships, or any combination of these resources, he or she must arrange to send official letters or similar certification as proof of such support, together with the application for an I-20 or DS-2019.

Who can I turn to for other information about being an international student at NYU?
The Office of Global Services (OGS) at NYU is available to assist NYU students. The office serves as a central reference point providing assistance in legal, cultural, social and personal matters. OGS also guides students in finding other offices at the University that can be helpful. The staff of the OGS coordinates programs with and for international students and serves as an advocate for the University’s international community. The OGS staff handles all transactions regarding legal status in the United States. You may read about their services, sponsored events, and advising information on their web page.

All new and transfer F-1 and J-1 students must report their arrival to NYU. To report your arrival, go to New International Student Check-In and Orientation. It is equally important to register for classes within the first two weeks of the semester to keep in compliance with Homeland Security's Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

International students may also consult a Graduate Enrollment Services advisor in the Graduate School.

Updated on 10/24/2016