All September 2017 and January 2018 degree recipients and all May 2018 degree candidates are eligible to participate in Convocation.
Doctoral candidates who will receive their degree in September 2018 and are scheduled to defend their dissertation before the May 18 ceremony are eligible to participate even if they have dissertation submission procedures outstanding. These candidates do not need to petition their DGS for a Dean's Exception for the GSAS Doctoral Convocation. However, they will need a Dean's Exception if they wish to participate in All-University Commencement at Yankee Stadium.
How to Register for the GSAS Doctoral Convocation
1) You must receive an invitation to register. Convocation invitations are sent by e-mail to all eligible degree recipients and candidates during the second week in March.
If you have not received your invitation by Friday, March 9, you should:
- Check your spam folder.
- Verify that you applied for graduation on Albert by the February 4 deadline.
- Log into Albert, the student information system, to verify your contact information.
- Contact the GSAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs at email@example.com to request that an invitation be re-sent to your correct email.
2) You must register for tickets. Follow the directions in your email invitation. Registration to participate and request guest tickets ends Wednesday, April 25, 2018.
Dean’s Exception Policy for Participation
Doctoral candidates who will not fulfill the Ph.D. graduation requirements for May 2018 and who intend to graduate over the summer will receive invitations to attend the GSAS Doctoral Convocation in 2019.
However, consideration will be given to doctoral candidates who have scheduled their defense for summer 2018, but who will not be able to attend next year's ceremony due to extenuating circumstances. These students must apply for a Dean's Exception.
Dean's Exception Process:
1) Doctoral candidates seeking exceptions must submit their request to the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) in their department or program.
2) The DGS must submit a formal request to the Office of Academic and Student Affairs by filling out this form (PDF), and sending it to the attention of Cherone Slater no later than Wednesday, April 11, 2018.
3) Doctoral candidates who request exceptions will be notified of the decision by the Office of Academic and Student Affairs via email before the April 25 ticket registration deadline.
4) If an exception is granted, students must register for the ceremony by the April 25 registration deadline.
Note: This exception policy only applies to the GSAS Doctoral Convocation. For the All-University Commencement exception policy, visit the Commencement website.