New York City is a dynamic and exciting place in which to live and go to school. The following information is meant to help you plan for your housing so that you can arrange accommodations by the start of classes.
General information about housing can be found on the NYU Housing web page. We also host a Living in New York City page with helpful links to NYU and New York City resources.
MacCracken Doctoral Students1
Stuy Town (first-years only)
Lease Guaranty Program
All Graduate Students
The Graduate School of Arts and Science (GSAS) offers a special housing opportunity available through the MacCracken Housing Program (MHP). The MacCracken Housing Program is a unique housing program offered by GSAS to our doctoral students during their first year of study. Complete details about applying for the housing are provided in the program summary.
MHP provides housing in converted two-bedroom apartments located in Stuyvesant Town.
Stuyvesant Town is a secure enclave of 89 high-rise buildings set in a park-like environment amid lawns, numerous trees, and playgrounds. It is located on the east side of Manhattan, between 14th and 20th Streets, and First Avenue and East River Drive. It is a 20 minute walk to campus, is connected to the Washington Square campus by the free NYU shuttle bus service, and is close to public transportation. All apartments are furnished and are in elevator buildings.
The Graduate School subsidizes the cost of housing to insure that we can offer you affordable and appropriate graduate housing near the Washington Square campus. When comparing off-campus housing alternatives to MHP housing, please keep in mind that the MHP rates are more affordable than most comparable non-NYU apartments listed at market rates.
MHP has many attractive features:
- Utilities are included in the room cost (heat, water and electricity)
- Apartments are furnished
- MHP housing is close to campus
- Laundry facilities are on site
- All buildings have elevators
- Security is maintained by Stuyvesant Town Security
- Residents are provided with a Stuyvesant Town issued photo identification swipe-card.
To participate in MHP housing, you must first indicate your interest by submitting the Statement of Intent. After we receive your submission, we will send you an email with specific information about the housing application process. Your immediate submission of the Statement of Intent is very important so that we can know that you are interested in our housing.
PLEASE NOTE: Housing is very limited and offered on a first-come, first-serve basis. Priority is given to those first-year students who need overnight access to labs. A letter from the department or DGS will be required to confirm the need for overnight lab access.
If you have any questions about the MacCracken Housing Program, please contact Cherone Slater at 212-998-8062 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lease Guaranty Program
Renting in New York City can be difficult. In particular, many landlords have income requirements for their tenants that would disqualify most students. In order to assist students in fulfilling these requirements, the Graduate School of Arts and Science (GSAS) offers its Lease Guaranty Program. Under this Program, the University will guarantee up to twelve months of rent under an appropriate lease as an inducement to landlords to rent to GSAS students.
Please note the following regarding the criteria for participation in the Lease Guaranty Program:
- Entering doctoral students supported on the MacCracken Program, enrolling for the first time in fall 2017, are eligible to apply.
- Continuing, fully-funded GSAS doctoral students who are within the first five years of enrollment in their doctoral programs are also eligible to apply.
- Students may participate in the Lease Guaranty Program more than once. The term of each lease may be one or two years, but no more, and in any event, the Guaranty will be limited to the sum of 12 monthly rent payments at a time as set forth in the Guaranty.
- Additional parties on the lease, other than the spouse of a married student or an eligible domestic partner (see Statement of Domestic Partnership form), must also be students in the Graduate School of Arts and Science.
- Space in the Lease Guaranty Program is limited and not all requests may be approved. Applications will be evaluated on a first come-first served model regardless if they have already participated in the program or not. Some applicants may be placed on a waitlist. Waitlist applicants will be reviewed in order, based upon the date the application was submitted.
For further information about eligibility criteria and application procedures or general queries about the Lease Guaranty Program, please contact Chris Alarie at 212-998-8143 or email@example.com.
NYU on-campus graduate housing is extremely limited and offered to GSAS Master’s and doctoral students but priority is given to those graduate students who require overnight access to labs. On-campus housing is managed by a waitlist process.
For more information, click here.
The majority of GSAS students live off campus and we encourage you to search for off-campus housing.
SRC Off Campus Living Webpage
The NYU Student Resource Center (SRC) provides students with general advice and resources in the apartment search process. Although the SRC does not provide actual apartments, the Student Resource Center’s Off-Campus Living webpage prove information and resources on a number of housing-related topics, including: apartment search links based on student suggestions, neighborhood resources links, general advice on the housing search process, broker information, tenants’ rights and resources, and workshops to assist with apartment searches.
Student Resource Center
60 Washington Square South, Suite 210
To assist students with finding non-NYU housing, the Student Resource Center works with a third party vendor, The Housing Registry, to aid in your housing and roommate search. The Housing Registry search features are only available to the NYU community through the use of their NYU email. This database contains apartments and rooms for rent, as well as a roommate registry. Brokers and non-members of the University Community are invited to post a listing on the Housing Registry as long as the guidelines are followed.
To access the Housing Registry, click HERE. You will need your NYU email to be able to access the site.
1 The following GSAS affiliate doctoral programs are not eligible: Basic Medical Sciences and Environmental Health Sciences, housed in the School of Medicine; Cinema Studies and Performance Studies, housed in the Tisch School of the Arts; Data Science; Institute of Fine Arts; and Institute for the Study of the Ancient World.